Below are some of the articles and books I’ve read recently that you may enjoy perusing.
- “Partnering with Churches to Empower Limitless Missionary Teams,” by David Platt — Platt is doing a wonderful job leading the SBC’s International Mission Board. At their recent trustee meeting the IMB made some policy changes that will allow SBC churches to most effectively send as many missionaries as possible to impact global lostness with the gospel. Read here as Platt explains what these policies do and do not mean.
- “May Women Teach Adult Sunday School Classes?” by John Frame — Though I don’t agree with everything in this article, especially given the explicitly Presbyterian context, it is a good example of thoughtful engagement with the Scriptures surrounding a tricky issue for complementarians.
- “Evangelicalism Continues to Grow While Christianity in America Declines,” by Joe Carter — Carter looks at the new data from a massive Pew Research survey and highlights some of the more interesting revelations about Christianity in America.
- “Pew: Evangelicals Stay Strong as Christianity Crumbles in America,” by Sarah Eekhoff Zylstra — Here’s a similar write-up from Christianity Today.
- “Born at 26 Weeks Weighing Under 2 Pounds, This Happy Girl Shows Why We Stand for Life,” by Tasha Troy — An amazing story of a beautiful child born very early in pregnancy.
- 40 Questions About Baptism and the Lord’s Supper, by John Hammett — You’ll want to check out this forthcoming (June 27, 2015) volume in the 40 Questions & Answers Series (edited by SEBTS professor Ben Merkle), in which John Hammett thoughtfully addresses some of the most important issues surrounding the two biblical ordinances. Here’s my endorsement:
“My friend and colleague John Hammett has the wonderful gift to say more in less words than most any theologian I know. In this book he does it again. The information is encyclopedic and the detailed research is what we have come to expect of this scholar. John, as always, is fair and evenhanded with those with whom he disagrees. I love the 40 Questions series and this is a wonderful addition to the family.”